|Error Handling in SQL Trigger Using Signalling|
IntroductionThis article will explain the error handling in SQL trigger using Signalling.
Below are the table structures that will be used in the example
Create tables on which trigger is attached
A R RTGPF6 A NUMBER 3P 0
The trigger will be added to TABLE1 and it will get triggered when any record is updated in the table.
The new value is greater than double the old value.
The record will not get updated and an error will be displayed
Example: Error Handling Using Signalling
In this example, the SIGNALERRORTRIGGER trigger gets created and if already present then that will be replaced by this trigger.
CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER SIGNALERRORTRIGGER BEFORE UPDATE ON TRGPF6 REFERENCING NEW ROW AS NEW OLD ROW AS OLD FOR EACH ROW MODE DB2ROW PROGRAM NAME TRIGGER11 BEGIN IF NEW.NUMBER > OLD.NUMBER *2 THEN SIGNAL SQLSTATE 'ERROR' SET MESSAGE_TEXT = 'NUMBER MORE THAN DOUBLE NOT ALLOWED'; END IF; END;
The above-shown trigger will be executed only when the record is updated in TABLE1.
The below statement will create the transition rows. New will be having the new row data and Old will be having the old row data.
REFERENCING NEW ROW AS NEW OLD ROW AS OLD
BEGIN / END is used to execute the multiple events, also IF/END IF is a condition operator to execute the action when a condition is true.
Statement to modified SQLSTATE (SQLSTATE can be anything)
SIGNAL SQLSTATE 'ERROR'
Error to be displayed when the condition is fulfilled
SET MESSAGE_TEXT = 'NUMBER MORE THAN DOUBLE NOT ALLOWED';
IF NEW.NUMBER > OLD.NUMBER *2 THEN SIGNAL SQLSTATE 'ERROR' SET MESSAGE_TEXT = 'NUMBER MORE THAN DOUBLE NOT ALLOWED'; END IF;
IF / ENF IF blocks can have multiple actions in them.
Trigger object is a CLE program object which can be debugged.
Read also :
- SQL Triggers concept in IBM i DB2
- Syntax for Create Trigger in IBM i AS400
- Simple SQL Trigger Example
- Conditional SQL Trigger Example
- OF Clause in SQL Trigger
- Multiple Event Execution Through SQL Trigger
- Change Row Before Inserting In Table (Before SQL Trigger)
- Stored Procedure calling in SQL Trigger
- Transition Tables in SQL Triggers
- Self Referencing SQL trigger
- INSTEAD OF SQL Trigger (Adding / Deleting / Inserting record in the table through SQL View)
- Trigger Limitations and Program Attributes
- Effects On Trigger When New File Field Is Added
- SYSTRIGGERS Catalog Table for SQL Trigger
- SYSTRIGDEP Catalog Table for SQL Trigger
- SYSTRIGUPD Catalog Table for SQL Trigger
- SYSTRIGCOL Catalog Table for SQL Trigger